Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: O. T. Farewell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    O. T. Farewell

    I would like to express my appreciation to members of this forum for the help and enjoyment that I have experienced over the years.

    After many years(longer than my profile data indicates) as a member and contributor to this forum I am leaving. In recent times I have seen moderator intervention which has resulted in members being subject to authoratarian treatment and some members deciding not to put up with it and depart the forum. I choose the latter.

    I acknowledge that this is Todd White's forum and if he is happy with the 'status quo', so be it.

    What tipped me over can be seen here(if moderator intervention has not removed information, as has happened in the past):

    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...on-d-75-a.html

    ALAS, the thread has been CLEANED by the moderator.

    There was nothing offensive in my posts. I CHALLENGE THE MODERATOR TO RESTORE THE MISSING POSTS, especially his own.

    HOOROO, Marshall.

    If you see this post before the moderator does, keep an eye out for the 'disappearing trick'.


    P.S. Feel free to PM me with some sensible Audio Forum names.
    Last edited by mah; March 25th, 2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Add P.S.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    O. T.  Farewell


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: O. T. Farewell

    I don't like tyrants either AB. I'll be back when you are gone.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    HB Super Moderator
    O. T.  Farewell


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: O. T. Farewell

    Tyrants OG ? By doing my job ? I asked him to follow the rules.Posting OT and he starts a rant OG ? This kind of crap on any other forum wouldn't be tolerated at all so what makes you think it is OK to do here ?

    BTW Marshall I only soft delete so they are still here.Don't worry we'll get to the bottom of it.Every since the Brad thing you have shown hostility towards this Moderator a long with a few others.I'll leave it at that.

    I asked you Politely to post OT in threads TITLE that aren't On topic.And you subtly try and start trouble.All I asked you was to edit your Thread title.I said nothing about the thread subject.

    WRT The cleaning Marshall,yes after a thread gets way off topic with post after post.Yes they get cleaned.Most forums would have flushed them by now.I only ever soft delete.So they can be reviewed by Todd.
    Last edited by Altec Best; March 25th, 2012 at 08:06 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    O. T.  Farewell


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: O. T. Farewell

    HIS POST WAS ON TOPIC IT WAS ALTEC RELATED! Rules are more important to you than people. What about your rant you won't tolerate criticism? I told you how bad the exclamation points looked like you were yelling . you don't care. I'm done.

    EDIT- typical edit to make yourself look better you took all the exclamation points out.
    Last edited by Old Guy; March 25th, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    O. T.  Farewell


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: O. T. Farewell

    Thanks Todd for reviewing this.
    Last edited by Altec Best; March 28th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: O. T. Farewell

    I'm good with all that Todd said.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O. T. Farewell

    Hello Todd and all,

    As many of you know I am a moderator at another audio site and have been for quite some time.

    I believe that Todd is on the right track instituting other forums that in the long run will cut down on AB's work.

    The suggestions I would like to offer include:

    1. Having more than one moderator. On the other site we have quite a handful, including Panomaniac, with virtually all decisions made by a team. Really cuts down on the personality issues.

    2. Not allowing for editing of posts. This will cut down on perceptions of heavy handedness. If rules are broken then the entire post is removed regardless of how much of it is in violation and a note sent to the alleged offender suggesting action. This action can include sending them the post in entirety (as not many save their own posts) and asking them to rewrite it before resubmitting.

    AB, I know how thankless it can seem at times. Goodness knows you get 10 or 20 criticisms for every praise but not to worry, you'll grow into the boots, your skin will thicken. Soon you'll be the best moderator of all - the kind no one notices.

    Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Cal Weldon; March 28th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    O. T.  Farewell


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: O. T. Farewell

    Well I told you about those exclamantion points "Bad Habit" on my part,that I already told you.People complained about Moderating Rules so I tried to follow the rules (By the Book) now your complaining about that.Since I'm trying to do things by the book and do the right thing I'm a Tryant ? Damned if you do Damned if you don't. When someone is indexing the forum and they see (Crown Amcron- D75) are they going to think it is Altec ? Can't have it both ways. I try to treat everyone the same OG..I have no grudge against anyone but it is quite obvious that a couple of members do towards me. Was just trying to do my job and it gets into a full blown argument ? No reply no message ? Has to post it in the forum.To enrage the board members this is why this crap can't be tolerated.IMHO they are Trolling posts. How long do you think this would have lasted anywhere else ? On say AK, or LH, or DIY , or Audio Asylum ?

    The whole point of him posting a Farewll Thread is to inflame the board nothing more.Seen this road before apparently it seems to be still traveled.So it should be deleted because it serves no purpose.

    Addendum: Remove exclamantion points ? Now your just making it up.If you were paying attention you will see that I actually added 4 more sentences and changed the word TITLE into caps.This just looks like Jump on the band wagon to me WRT Marshalls Farewell Thread. That proves the point.When you post things to try and inflame the board they are nothing more than Trolling posts.

    BTW. I take screen captures of my Moderation posts. I'll send everything to Todd.
    Last edited by Altec Best; March 25th, 2012 at 07:24 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: O. T. Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post

    The whole point of him posting a Farewll Thread is to inflame the board nothing more.Seen this road before apparently it seems to be still traveled.So it should be deleted because it serves no purpose.
    I won't Let this go without saying I too have always noticed a condescending tone in some of your comments. Since you were made moderator. I'm not trying to jump your shit, just saying sometimes you come off sounding kinda condescending. :Sheep squirt:

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: O. T. Farewell

    "Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! I'm takin my toys and goin' home!"

    That was me not too long ago when a strong opinion was expressed as fact on a subject where scientific evidence proves the opposite to be true. I failed to realize that it was just an opinion and not unlike many of my own. I was being selfish and self centered for stepping away for my own what now seem like rather frivolous reasons.

    Sometimes, i think we need to take a step back and focus/remember what this forum is, and why it exists.

    Fellas, i'm taking a side here. I'm taking the side of the COMMUNITY that is the Altec User's Board. This place has been a priceless dispensary of information related to every minute detail of all things Altec.

    Where does this information come from?

    Obviously, it comes from people who possess the knowledge, care about the products, their history, and the continuation of their appreciation, it comes from people like OG, Mah(Marshall), and Altec Best who possess both the generosity to share, and capacity to transfer their knowledge to others.

    Bottom line, this is ALL about the Altecs fellas!!

    I would ask both OG and Marshall to please give due consideration before making any permanent decisions. What you both bring to the table here is of great value. It'd be a shame to lose that over what really amounts to a hiccup in the normally smooth flow here.

    AB, you have been charged with a duty here that was bound to come under scrutiny as it's really the first "active moderation" the board has seen, at least since i've been here. I don't envy your task as there's not likely to be much public praise for doing well, But, you can be sure there will be relentless scrutiny of all your actions. This is a big change, and most of us old farts really grow to despise change. It's not fair, but it's the way it is.

    Also AB, i greatly appreciate your willingness to bring your moderation into the open and allow discussion on it, that's something that won't be found on any other forum that i'm aware of, and hopefully this can remain unchanged.

    As for this particular incident, IMO, a "sticky" at the top of the page with POSTING RULES would probably prevent this type of thing in the future. When drafting rules the "less is more" school of thought keeps things more easily understood especially for members who's first language isn't english.

    I agree with both sides in this case as the OP was indeed asking about running his Altecs on the amp mentioned. I think this is where a CLEARLY POSTED RULE stating that the subject title MUST contain ALTEC, or a readily recognizable Altec part or model number, OR, be clearly identified as "off topic" is needed.

    Anyway, that is my .02........................... hoping ALL of you stick around.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.